Monday, January 17, 2011

mlk holiday day


"A bachelor's life is a fine breakfast, a flat lunch, and a miserable dinner."
                         Francis Bacon.



According to Bacon, Randy & I definitely live a bachelor's life.

Today was a productive MLK holiday at the Ketterman's, filled with reading, an attempt to jog in our condo gym, exciting chats about the future, and MLK of course, and I got to spend some crafty time with one of my bests, Christie M. Augello (stay tuned for our creation, it's the child must-have for 2011). 

When I have time off, I enjoy making really good breakfasts', because it is definitely the best food-idea God came up with. After chocolate. Anyways, I made one of our faves, a Kitchen Sink Frittata. My mom gave me this recipe, along with my first cast iron skillet for my birthday (encouraging my wifery skillz). It's so simple, tasty and looks difficult to make. All my favorite things in a recipe. Enjoy!  



                           Kitchen Sink Frittatas

Serves 4
 Ingredients:
  • 6 Eggs (I've done egg whites for a healthier alternative, just a little lighter than original)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 cups leftover cooked vegetables, meat, pasta, rice, cheese, or whatever you have on hand
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat the over broiler.
2. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
3. Mix in all the other ingredients except the butter.
4. In a large ovenproof skillet (a 9- inch cast-iron frying pan, for example), melt the butter over medium heat.
5. Add the egg mixture and cook until the bottom and edges are set, but the eggs are still runny on top.
6. Remove the skillet from the stove top and place it under the broiler. Broil for about 3 minutes, until the eggs are set and the top is slightly browned.
7. Let the frittata cool, then cut it into wedges and serve directly from pan.

I have added other spices and variations, and below are some other good ideas for combos:
  • WESTERN: ham, cheese, peppers, green onions
  • GREEK: Feta cheese, olives, plum tomatoes, spinach
  • SOUTHWESTERN: salsa, avocado, corn, monterey jack cheese, jalapenos, cilantro
  • ITALIAN: sausage, tomatoes, garlic, basil, Parmesan cheese
  • VEGGIE: zucchini, tomatoes, mozzarella, broccoli, mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment